California Harvest Salad
Can a salad be decadent? With this one, the answer is certainly yes! This very special salad features creamy avocado, succulent fresh figs, jewel-like pomegranate, and crunchy pistachios over a bed of massaged kale.
For the Dressing
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Generous salt and pepper
For the Salad
- Large bunch of lacinato kale
- Big handful of pomegranate arils
- Small handful of roasted/salted pistachios
- 8-10 fresh figs
- Small handful of fresh basil leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dressing ingredients.
- Strip the ribs out of the kale leaves, then cut the kale into thin ribbons perpendicular to where the stems used to be. Give the ribbons a good wash in warm water, which helps start the tenderizing process, then drain well.
- Put the kale into the mixing bowl with the dressing. Give it all a very vigorous massage with your hands until the leaves are wilted and tender; it may take several minutes.
- Let it all sit for a few minutes while you prepare your other ingredients to continue tenderizing in the lemon juice and salt.
- When you're ready to serve, lay the kale on a serving platter. Top it with pomegranate arils, pistachios, figs, avocado slices, and basil leaves.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021