Harvest Wild Rice Salad
This show-stopping wild rice salad celebrates the harvest season in all its abundance. Chewy wild rice, sweet and juicy red fruits, and bitter radicchio make for a surprising yet delightful combination that can act as a centerpiece for your festive meals all fall and holiday season long.
For the Salad
- 1 c wild rice
- 0.25 tsp sea salt
- 0.5 c chopped walnuts
- 0.25 c dried, unsweetened cranberries
- Small head of radicchio
- Few bunches of grapes
- Handful of red cherries
- Handful of fresh figs
- Red plum
- Small handful of fresh basil leaves
For the Dressing
- 0.5 c red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Generous salt and pepper
- Cook your rice as directed, adding salt to the water (it makes a huge difference in the flavor!). Usually for wild rice, it's something like 2:1 water:rice; bring it to a boil and then simmer until all the water is absorbed. Some especially long-grained types of rice may take upwards of an hour, so be aware that this may take a bit of time.
- While the rice is cooking, make the dressing.
- When the rice is finished, add half the dressing and toss. The hot rice will soak up all the dressing and become super flavorful!
- To the hot rice, add the cranberries and walnuts.
- Cool the rice to at least room temperature, or keep it in the fridge overnight. Don't try to plate this salad while the rice is hot since it will wilt the delicate radicchio and fruit.
- When you're ready to assemble the salad, cut the radicchio into thin wedges or ribbons and lay them out on a serving platter. Add the rice on top. Then, being as artsy as you like, add the fruit on top. As shown in the photos here, you'll see that I like to present each ingredient in a couple different ways (e.g grapes that are whole, cut in half, and still on the vine). Finish it off with some torn fresh basil leaves.
- Serve the remaining half of the dressing on the side for drizzling over individual portions.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021