Orange Ginger Blueberry Tahini Muffins
These delightfully surprising muffins are loaded with fragrant orange, zippy ginger, sweet blueberries, and nutty tahini. They're a flavor explosion! But you might love the nourishing ingredients even more, especially the very non-traditional (and protein-rich) baking flour: chick pea!
For the Muffins
- 1 large, very ripe banana
- 0.5 c creamy tahini
- 0.5 c thick, rich plant milk of choice
- 0.5 c maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of an orange
- 1 c chick pea flour
- 0.5 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 12 cubes of crystallized ginger
- 1 c blueberries
For the Icing
- 1 c confectioner's sugar
- Juice of an orange OR a dash of orange liqueur
- Zest of an orange for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350 and put liners in (or oil well) a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mash the banana.
- Add the tahini, plant milk, maple syrup, flax, vanilla, and orange zest and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chick pea flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until combined.
- Dice the crystallized ginger very finely. Add the ginger and the blueberries to the batter and gently fold them in.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners, distributing it evenly between all 12, then bake for 20-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely.
- To make the icing, add orange juice (or orange liqueur) to the confectioner's sugar in small increments, just until a rich, drizzly texture forms. Work slowly and stir after each addition, since a little bit of liquid goes a long way.
- Drizzle the icing onto the muffins only after they have cooled completely.
- If you love orange, zest a second orange and scatter the zest across the tops of the muffins.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021