Spicy Skillet Orange Jalapeno Brussels Sprouts
Loaded with sweet orange and spicy jalapeno, these easy stovetop Brussels sprouts are a flavor powerhouse. Enjoy them as a side dish, as a happy hour nibble, or hoard them all to yourself.
For the Brussels Sprouts
- 4 c Brussels sprouts
- Oil of choice for cooking
- Generous salt and pepper
- 2-5 jalapenos
- Zest of an orange
- Juice of an orange
- 2 tbsp honey or agave
- 0.5 c raisins
- Orange slices
- Small handful of roasted salted pepitas
- Small handful of fresh cilantro and/or mint
- Sliced avocado
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts. For each sprout, cut off the tough stem, then cut into halves (for smaller sprouts) or quarters (for larger sprouts). Try to make them the same size for even cooking.
- Cook the Brussels sprouts over medium heat in a large skillet with a splash of oil, tossing them frequently. Add generous salt and pepper.
- Slice the jalapenos very thinly and add them after about ten minutes of cooking time.
- Continue cooking and tossing until the Brussels sprouts are tender (but not soft) and have developed caramelized surfaces and until the jalapenos are soft and browned, another 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the orange zest, orange juice, honey, and raisins, then toss again. Let it simmer for several additional minutes to concentrate the juice, plump the raisins, and continue softening the Brussels sprouts.
- Once the liquid has evaporated and is just barely starting to caramelize, transfer the Brussels sprouts to a serving dish. Garnish with a few citrus slices, pepitas, finely chopped herbs, and sliced avocado.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021