Rainbow Winter Tacos
Loaded with colorful, seasonal veggies and fruits, these tacos are such a bright spot on a gray winter day. They're infinitely customizable too!
- 2-3 c small brussel sprouts
- Large sweet potato
- Oil of choice for roasting
- Splash of apple cider
- Generous salt and pepper
- Chili powder
- Poblano pepper
- Fuyu persimmon
- Juice of a lime, divided
- Pinch or more of cayenne
- Two avocados
- Few handfuls of pomegranate arils, divided
- 8-12 small corn tortillas
- Few forkfuls of pickled red onions
- Big handful of blackberries
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Handful of pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the brussel sprouts in half and lay them cut-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Salt and pepper generously. Roast at 425 until caramelized and tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into cubes. Lay them out on a separate oiled baking sheet, and again salt and pepper generously. Roast at 425 for about 15-20 minutes until tender.
- When the brussel sprouts and sweet potato are almost done, give them both a tiny splash of apple cider so they stay moist. Sprinkle them generously with chili powder and cumin, and return them to the oven for a few more minutes to toast the spices and cook down the cider.
- Fire-roast the poblano pepper directly over the flame of a gas burner until evenly charred (conversely, this works fine under the broiler if you don't have a gas stove). Let the pepper cool and cut it into thin rings.
- Dice up the persimmon and add the juice from half your lime, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. Give it a good mix.
- Mash up the avocados with generous salt and the juice from the remaining lime half. Gently stir in some pomegranate arils.
- When you're ready to serve, warm up your tortillas. You can toast them briefly over a gas burner or heat them in a microwave in a damp cloth.
- Now it's time to assemble! Lay out your tortillas. Add a heap of roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. Garnish with a few pieces of pickled onion, a few pepper rings, some pomegranate arils, a blackberry or two, and some thyme leaves. Serve the persimmon salsa, pomegranate guacamole, and pepitas on the side so that everyone can top their own.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021