Roasted Broccoli and Lemon Soup
This cozy-yet-fresh soup unites roasted broccoli and cauliflower with bright, vibrant lemon. It's the perfect meal for a spring day when the weather isn't cooperating.
For the Soup
- Head of broccoli
- Head of cauliflower
- Sweet onion
- Robust, high-quality olive oil
- Generous salt and pepper
- Zest of 1-2 lemons
- 2-4 c veggie stock
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- Pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 and oil a very large sheet tray (or two smaller sheet trays).
- Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets and cut the onion into small wedges.
- Lay the veggies out across the prepared sheet tray(s). More surface area yields more browning, so make sure to give them plenty of space.
- Drizzle the veggies with a bit of additional olive oil, then salt and pepper liberally.
- Roast the veggies for about 30-45 minutes until caramelized and flavorful, tossing a couple times as needed.
- A few minutes before the end of the roasting time, zest a lemon or two over the veggies. Put them back into the oven for just a couple minutes. This will allow the lemon zest to release its fragrant oils.
- Place the roasted veggies, lemon juice, and 1 c vegetable broth to a blender and blend until you have a rich, thick texture, adding more broth as needed. You may need to work in several batches.
- Pour the soup into a medium-sized pot over low heat. Keep it barely at a simmer for 15 minutes to finish bringing the flavors together. Feel free to add some additional stock (or just water) to achieve your desired texture.
- To serve, ladel the soup into a bowl and swirl the top with a generous dollop of pesto. Finish it with a sprinkle of pine nuts and freshly ground black pepper.
ALL TEXT AND PHOTOS COPYRIGHT © THE ROGUE BRUSSEL SPROUT 2021