High-Protein Vegan Taco Pasta
This vegan taco pasta is loaded with plant-based protein and all your favorite taco flavors. It's easy, fast, and makes for a great healthy comfort food dinner, especially when finished with all the best taco toppings.
- 12-oz box of bean-based pasta
- Oil of choice for cooking
- Medium-sized red onion
- Generous salt and pepper
- Two poblano peppers
- Small wedge of red cabbage
- Red bell pepper
- 2 c corn kernels
- 15-oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of a lime
- Garnishes of choice such as fresh cilantro, avocado, and pepitas
- Start heating a large pot of water for the pasta.
- Dice the red onion. In a very large skillet with your cooking oil of choice, saute the onion with generous salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, dice the poblano peppers. When the onion is just barely beginning to caramelize, add the poblanos to the skillet and cook for a few more minutes.
- Dice the red cabbage and red bell pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook for another five minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the box directions.
- Once the red cabbage and red bell pepper are tender but not soft, add the corn, black beans, and spices to the skillet. Cook it all in the dry skillet for a minute or two to toast the spices, then decrease the heat and add a small splash of water. Let everything simmer for five more minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, add the lime juice, and toss until evenly combined. If your skillet isn't big enough to combine the pasta and veggies, you can transfer everything to a large mixing bowl.
- Transfer the finished pasta to a serving dish and add the fresh garnishes on the top, or serve them on the side for adding to individual portions.
RECIPE from The Rogue Brussel Sprout Blog